Kevin Spacey just got fired from Ridley Scott’s new movie, a month before its release

Ridley Scott will completely remove Kevin Spacey from his upcoming biopic thriller All the Money in the World — with fewer than two months to go until the movie’s scheduled December 22 release.

According to Deadline, which first reported the news, Christopher Plummer will replace Spacey in the film’s most prominent supporting role. Scott’s drastic choice to cut Spacey from the movie will put it at risk of missing its December 22 release date, thus jeopardizing its Oscar eligibility.

The news follows a wave of sexual assault allegations made against Spacey by more than a dozen people, including multiple accusations of assault on underage victims.

Based on a true story, All the Money in the World details the harrowing 1973 kidnapping of J. Paul Getty’s 16-year-old grandson, J. Paul Getty III (Charlie Plummer, no relation), and Getty’s refusal to comply with the kidnappers’ demands. Spacey was set to play the elder Getty, and the decision to reshoot his role entirely, especially so close to the film’s release date, is extremely unprecedented.

The decision to cut Spacey from the film indicates how drastically Hollywood is reacting to the allegations against the actor

Though there have been other historical instances where an actor has been replaced during a film’s production, recasting a role or conducting extensive reshoots after a film has wrapped is rare, and usually only happens to this extent in the case of an unexpected death — for example, Paul Walker’s brothers standing in for reshoots of Furious 7 after his death.

That Scott and the All the Money in the World’s producers are willing to go to such lengths to essentially erase Spacey’s presence from the film speaks to how seriously Hollywood is taking the allegations of sexual assault that have been levied against him — or at least how desperate many people in the entertainment industry are to distance themselves from a man whose behavior was allegedly a longstanding open secret.

The decision comes after the film’s production studio, TriStar, abandoned what would have been an aggressive marketing and awards season campaign built around Spacey’s performance. The studio additionally pulled the film from what would have been an Oscar-bait slot at the American Film Institute’s November film festival. Regarding that decision, TriStar issued a statement, noting, “All the Money in the World is a superb film … But given the current allegations surrounding one of its actors and out of respect for those impacted, it would be inappropriate to celebrate at a gala at this difficult time.”

All the Money in the World features an ensemble cast including Michelle Williams and Mark Wahlberg. According to Deadline, the decision to replace Spacey and reshoot all of his scenes was “unanimous” among the film’s cast and crew.

Vox has reached out to Spacey’s representatives for comment.

Source:-VOX

Xiaomi Says It Shipped More Than 10 Million Smartphones Last Month

Xiaomi Says It Shipped More Than 10 Million Smartphones Last Month

HIGHLIGHTS

  • Xiaomi sold more than 10 million smartphones in India
  • It’s a record performance for the company
  • The company also reached a milestone in India

September was a big month for Xiaomi. The Chinese smartphone maker shipped more than 10 million smartphones last month across all the markets where it operates, Xiaomi’s chief executive officer Lei Jun said.

A thrilled and happy Jun, who shared the announcement, thanked employees and partners. The company also reached a major milestone in India. Roughly three years after entering the nation, Xiaomi’s vice president and India head Manu Kumar Jain said the company had shipped more than 25 million smartphones in the country.

The big jump in sales comes as people in South Asian countries including India begin to prepare for the festival season. In India, for instance, Amazon India and Flipkart have been cashing in on the festive season, giving customers lucrative discounts with sales past and sales to come. Xiaomi said last month it had sold more than one million handsets in just two days, a major improvement over its performance in the country last year, when it took 18 days to sell one million smartphones.

Even as Xiaomi has always been known as a company which plays very aggressively, offering some of the best hardware at the price point, the company has appeared more focused in the recent months. It recently launched the Mi Mix 2, a bezel-less smartphone, and Mi A1, its first Android One smartphone for markets like India.

The recent development will help the company better compete with Chinese smartphone maker Huawei, which recently posted better sales than Apple. The company shipped north of 73 million smartphones in the first two quarters of this year, averaging more than 12 million handset shipments in a month. According to marketing research firm Strategy Analytics, Huawei shipped 38.4 million handsets in Q2 2017, while Oppo shipped 29.5 million handsets. In comparison, Xiaomi had shipped 23.16 million handsets in the quarter that ended in June.

[“Source-gadgets.ndtv”]

Drivers’ union plans to launch cab services next month

An Uber driver uses the app to navigate the often congested streets of Bangalore.

An Uber driver uses the app to navigate the often congested streets of Bangalore.(NYT)

Some members of cab aggregators  Ola and Uber, who have formed a drivers’ union, plan to launch its services next month with the help of Kolkata-based  technology startup which owns TYGR app.

“We plan to launch our cab services in the month of  August with the help of Savetur Digital Private Limited, which owns TYGR app,” former Uber, TaxiForSure and Ola Drivers And  Owners Association President Tanveer Pasha told PTI here.

“We want to give a local name to the app. Something  like “Namma TYGR” or “Namma Huli”, are some of the names we are planning on,” he added.

In the next three days, union members and Savetur officials are scheduled to meet at the residence of former Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy to finalise the deal, including the launching date and signing of documents, Pasha said.

He said Savetur would run and manage the business  according to a model drafted by drivers’ union, which would satisfy both drivers and riders.

However, the union will control and supervise Savetur  through their company, which is in the process of registering  its name as Huli Technologies.

It plans to expand to Mysuru, Mangaluru and Belagavi after the Bengaluru launch, Pasha said.

The company will focus on driver benefits, including a 10% commission charged for drivers, besides insurance and family benefits, among other incentives, he said.

The company plans to raise Rs 12 crore to run and sustain business at the initial stages and many investors have shown keen interest to pick stake in the company, Pasha said.

He said the company aims to give Rs five lakh worth of life insurance, Rs five lakh accident insurance and Rs two lakh medical insurance to the drivers annually.

The company plans to have three to four car categories  that will show up on the “Namma TYGR” app, the name of which  could be changed,which includes a mini, hatchback option at Rs 12.50 per km, a Rs 14.5 per km, a sports sedan option at utility vehicle option at Rs 18.50 per km and an outstation  cab option, Pasha said.

The company also plans to set up five private patrol  security cars to attend to drivers’ problems of facing drunk  riders travelling late at night.

“The private patrol car will help drivers during medical and legal emergencies,” he added.

The idea originated when the drivers had gone on strike  in February against cab aggregators, demanding better  incentives and stopping attachment of new cabs which they said affects bookings.

[“Source-hindustantimes”]

Facebook At Work Will Reportedly Be Launched Next Month

Facebook At Work Will Reportedly Be Launched Next Month

HIGHLIGHTS

  • Facebook At Work will also offer Groups as well as Messenger
  • The exact pricing for Facebook At Work have not been announced
  • The product has been in the making since 2014

Facebook is set to launch its enterprise communication and collaboration network ‘Facebook At Work’ globally in a few weeks on a per seat pricing model for businesses to make it easier for employees to exchange ideas easily, a media report said on Wednesday.

Facebook At Work is a platform where subscribers can use the product’s special Work Feed of posts from colleagues to exchange ideas and assume tasks.

According to the TechCrunch report, Facebook will launch integrations or partnerships with other Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) tool providers including Asana, making it lucrative for Facebook to get every single member of a company signed up.

Facebook At Work will also offer Groups as well as Messenger, which includes audio and video calling options that could compete with Slack and Skype. Plus it provides the social network’s profiles, Events and Live video features, the report noted.

(Also see: Facebook at Work to Bolster Its Presence in India)

As far as pricing is concerned, the exact figures for Facebook At Work have not been announced but the 400-plus beta testers, who have been testing the product for a while will get a few additional months of comped subscriptions to test it out.

“Facebook believes it can keep individual employees engaged with the product, so it is betting on a pricing plan that charges companies per monthly active user instead of charging a flat rate per company,” TechCrunch quoted Facebook At Work director Julien Codorniou as previously saying.

The product has been in the making since 2014 and the first tests were officially unveiled in 2015.

Since then, Facebook has been busy signing up huge international customers like the 100,000-employee Royal Bank Of Scotland, the report added.

Written with inputs from IANS

Tags: Facebook, Facebook At Work, Slack, Asana, Social, Apps, Skype

 

[“Source-Gadgets”]