Money likely to move from India markets to China: Marc Faber

Money likely to move from India markets to China: Marc Faber

Equity markets across the world have performed very well as most markets in Asia have given a return of 20 to 25 percent in dollar terms. India is up 30 percent in dollar terms.

“I am positive on emerging markets for about a year relative to the US,” Marc Faber, the editor and publisher of The Gloom, Boom & Doom Report, said on CNBC’s “Squawk Box.”

“If I look back, after 2014, emerging markets grossly underperformed the S&P 500. If we look at major markets in Asia, India rose 30% in USD and Chin hasn’t gone up that much which bring me to conclude that some money will move from India to Chinese markets,” he said.

Why will the money move from Indian markets to China? “Sentiments around China were very negative in the past six months to a year but that is now turning positive,” added Faber.

Commenting on the dollar, Faber said that the U.S. dollar could “easily rebound” by 4 to 5 percent from current levels, but President Donald Trump and his administration stand in the way of the currency’s long-term strength.

The greenback has had a tough year, with the dollar index tumbling nearly 10 percent since the start of 2017. At the same time, gains among currencies such as euro and peso also added to the dollar’s pain, said a CNBC report.

Commenting on Gold, Faber said it is an under-appreciated asset. Data suggest that from December lows in 2015, the GDX, the Gold ETF is up more than 100% and this year the GDX is up more than 25 percent.

If we compare the performance of the S&P, it is a fabulous performance and some gold shares have even done very well, he said.

[“Source-moneycontrol”]

Qualcomm CEO Says Settlement Likely in Apple Dispute

Qualcomm CEO Says Settlement Likely in Apple Dispute

HIGHLIGHTS

  • Mollenkopf says out of court settlement possible with Apple
  • Qualcomm asked US authorities to ban imports of some iPhone, iPad models
  • It has also accused iPhones, iPads of infringing 6 of its mobile patents

Global chip maker Qualcomm that recently filed a new patent infringement lawsuit against Apple now expects ‘out of court’ settlement with the Cupertino-based iPhone maker.

According to a Fortune report on Tuesday, Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf said during the Brainstorm Tech conference in Aspen, Colorado, that “those things tend to get resolved out of court and there’s no reason why I wouldn’t expect that to be the case here.”

He was comparing the dispute with Apple to earlier fights Qualcomm has had with other tech companies that were settled out of court.

Mollenkopf, however, added he didn’t have any specific news announcing a settlement was on the way.

“I don’t have an announcement or anything so please don’t ask,” he told the gathering.

Earlier in July, Qualcomm asked the US authorities to ban imports of some iPhone and iPad models.

Qualcomm filed a complaint with the US International Trade Commission, accusing Apple’s iPhones and iPads of infringing six of its mobile patents.

Qualcomm said all iPhones and iPads that contain competing mobile communications chips should be barred from the country.

Apple responded to this, saying that the company had tried to negotiate before suing and that Qualcomm is abusing its position.

In April, Apple stopped paying royalties to contract manufacturers for phone patents owned by Qualcomm over an “unresolved issue”.

Apple reportedly stopped paying royalties starting with devices sold during the March quarter.

Qualcomm is one of the world’s biggest provider of mobile chips and derives revenue majorly from licensing that technology to hundreds of handset manufacturers and others.

The US chip manufacturer had lambasted Apple for breaching deals between the two companies and urged that the lawsuit filed in January against them by the iPhone maker should be rejected.

Qualcomm also accused Apple of harming its business and sought unspecified damages.

Apple sued Qualcomm in January for nearly one billion dollars over royalties, with the Cupertino-based tech giant alleging the wireless chipmaker that it did not give fair licensing terms for its processor technology.

[“Source-gadgets.ndtv”]

Forget essays, more ‘objective’ questions likely in UP exams to simplify evaluation work

VCs conference

A number of interesting decisions were taken at the vice-chancellors’ conference held today in Lucknow, including increasing teaching days from 180 to 220 and use of technology in classes. However, the decision to introduce a “mix of objective and descriptive type of questions,” in examinations from next year, to simplify the work evaluators, was somewhat surprising.

In a media briefing after the conference of VCs of universities from all over Uttar Pradesh, the deputy chief minister Dinesh Sharma said that from next year the university will introduce objective type questions in examinations to ‘simplify’ evaluation work.

Sharma said evaluation of answers to descriptive type questions took time.Question papers would now have a mix of objective and descriptive type of questions.

Would the education system benefit from a system where answers in university and college-level examinations are required to be short just to make an evaluator’s work easy?

This is a question that demands a lengthy response.

 

 

[“source-hindustantimes”]

Google Combines YouTube Music, Google Play Music Teams; Unified App Likely to Launch Soon

Google Combines YouTube Music, Google Play Music Teams; Unified App Likely to Launch Soon
HIGHLIGHTS
Google Play Music and YouTube Music teams combined
Google likely to launch unified music app
YouTube Music offered music with and without video
Google has confirmed that it has merged the teams behind YouTube Music and Google Play Music. The move is said to be a way Google wants to pave the way for a unified Music app though it may be in initial stages.

A Google spokesperson confirmed the move to The Verge without offering any major details about the future product. In a statement, spokesperson said, “Music is very important to Google and we’re evaluating how to bring together our music offerings to deliver the best possible product for our users, music partners and artists. Nothing will change for users today and we’ll provide plenty of notice before any changes are made.”

The merger isn’t likely to affect users of both the Google Play Music and YouTube Music apps as of now. The Verge claims that both the apps “will continue to exist independently for the moment.”
It adds that the business development teams of Google Play Music and YouTube Music were combined last year. The move to combine business development teams was said to make negotiating deals with labels and artists easier. Notably, YouTube Red, a premium service that allows advertisement-free access to subscribers, already offers access to both YouTube Music and Google Play Music services.

To recall, YouTube Music app was launched in 2015 and was expected to bring Google in the helm against the likes of other music streaming services. YouTube Music offered songs both with and without video with an option for users to choose audio-only mode. In its initial impressions, YouTube Music was touted as far less cluttered than competing services like Apple Music, which had more lists and tabs.

Google last year gave its Play Music app a total overhaul with smart features which was powered by Google’s machine learning and contextual tools.

Tags: Apps, Google, Google Play Music, YouTube Music, YouTube Red, YouTube

[“Source-Gadgets”]