Girl, 13, Begged Father For Money To Treat Cancer. Video Viral After Death

Girl, 13, Begged Father For Money To Treat Cancer. Video Viral After Death

Sai Shri’s parents had been separated for eight years and she had been living with her mother

“Daddy…please do something and save me” – says a 13-year-old girl in an incredibly tragic WhatsApp video to her father, begging him for money for her cancer treatment. Young Sai Shri died on Sunday in Andhra Pradesh’s Vijayawada, but her tearful voice is being heard by thousands through the video that has been widely shared online.

Sai Shri’s parents had been separated for eight years and she had been living with her mother. In the video, she pleads with her father, Shetty Shivakumar, to sell her home – which was in her name – to raise money for her treatment. Her mother had reportedly tried to sell the house but was stopped by her father, who allegedly got help from a politician to try and throw his estranged family out.

Sai was diagnosed with cancer in August, and doctors reportedly told her mother that a bone marrow transplant was the only option.

Speaking in Telugu in the excruciating video, she shows swellings and lesions on her arms and legs and shares that she is in great pain.

“Daddy, you say that you don’t have money. At least we have this house. Please sell this house and pay for my treatment daddy. Or else, they (doctors) say that I won’t survive for long,” she weeps.

“I haven’t gone to school in months. I want to play with my friends…I want to go to school…take my exam…I want to become a doctor…”

Based on a complaint by an activist, the Andhra Pradesh State Human Rights Commission has asked the police to investigate whether Mr Shivakumar, who lives in the same city, was guilty of neglecting his daughter.

Activists allege that Mr Shivakumar refused to spend money for his daughter’s treatment even though he could afford it.

Sai’s mother Sumashri had reportedly spent Rs. 30 lakh but the treatment was not good enough for the type of cancer that she was suffering from.

[“source-ndtv”]

Police launch murder investigation after death of Paul McCready

Police have launched a murder investigation following the death of 31 year old Paul McCready in Belfast city centre.

Police have launched a murder investigation following the death of 31 year old Paul McCready in Belfast city centre.

Police have named the murder victim who died after an altercation in Belfast city centre as 31-year-old Paul McCready.

Mr McCready from north Belfast was injured in the incident near the Northern Whig bar in the Donegall Street area at around 12.50am on Sunday.

01OF 10

Police officers at the scene of a murder in Belfast City Centre following an altercation close to the Northern Whig on April 2nd 2017 (Photo - Kevin Scott / Belfast Telegraph)
Police officers at the scene of a murder in Belfast City Centre following an altercation close to the Northern Whig on April 2nd 2017 (Photo – Kevin Scott / Belfast Telegraph)

A 30-year-old man who was arrested at the scene remains in custody.

Detective Chief Inspector Geoffrey Boyce is continuing to appeal for witnesses.

“We know that a large number of people were in the vicinity of the Donegall Street/Waring Street junction at around the time the altercation took place,” he said.

“I would appeal to those people who have not yet gotten in touch with the investigation team to please do so. We are keen to gather as much information as possible about the circumstances and events that occurred here early this morning.”

Sinn Fein MLA for North Belfast Caral Ni Chuilin passed on her condolences to the family.

“The death of a 31-year-old man following an altercation close to Donegall Street in Belfast city centre has shocked local people,” she said.

“My thoughts and sympathies are with the family of this man at this time.

“I would appeal for anyone with information on this incident to come forward and contact the police.”

Online Editors

[“Source-belfasttelegraph”]

Leading Cause of Death of Startups: Real Estate

Ross Mayfield, CEO of SocialText, and a long-time blogger himself, is finally getting an office.

For two years his company has operated virtually, with employees working from their homes across the United States. He calls it “net-enabled bootstrapping” because the company has used technology tools to operate at a low cost and grow from within.

He says real estate is the leading cause of death of startups, and notes:

“I am convinced that being virtual is the best way to start a company. The benefits go beyond cost (although the culture of frugality can go a very long way). In our case, it improves the product. But generally it is more productive. When the bandwidth for collaboration is constrained at times, you gain a certain focus.”

Be sure to read the entire post, including the comments. He also notes the downsides of virtual businesses.

Two other blogs have picked up on the post and added their own insights — check them out too: Steve Shu, and WordPress founder Matt Mullenweg who notes that the WordPress team operates virtually, also. (WordPress is a popular Open Source blogging software.)

I find blogs such as Ross’s and Steve’s and Matt’s — which discuss their own experiences and observations — to be excellent sources of insight to “see” trends.

In this case, they give a great sense of how technology startups operate today.

Forget three guys in a garage — that was your father’s startup. Today it’s 3 people spread out across the country or even across continents, each in their home offices or back porches with laptops, mobile phones, and WiFi.

For more, read my essay “Trend: Small Businesses Go Virtual.”

[“source-smallbiztrends”]

Scientists investigate suspected meteorite death in Tamil Nadu

A file photo of a meteor streaking across the sky. The last reported death from a meteorite strike was in 1825. Photo: AFP/Nasa

A file photo of a meteor streaking across the sky. The last reported death from a meteorite strike was in 1825. Photo: AFP/Nasa

Chennai: Indian scientists are investigating whether a man was killed by a meteorite, which if confirmed would be the first recorded death from falling fragments of space rock in almost 200 years.

Jayalalithaa Jayaram, the chief minister of Tamil Nadu, has said a bus driver at a college in her state was killed by the meteorite and awarded Rs.100,000 in compensation to his family.

“A meteorite fell within the college premises,” Jayalalithaa said. The man “sustained serious injuries and died while on the way to the hospital”.

Jayalalithaa, a former film star, left tight-lipped local officials struggling to explain the mystery blast at the engineering college that left a small crater and broke windows.

The bus driver was standing on a patch of grass near the college cafeteria when he was killed, while two gardeners and a student were injured, officials said. A dark blue stone resembling a diamond was found at the scene.

Government officials at first suspected the blast was caused by explosives accidentally left after building work. However, investigations found no evidence of explosive material at the site.

“When no evidence of explosive material was found, we moved to the theory that it might be a meteorite,” said a district official who asked not be named. “It is not confirmed yet as samples need to be analysed.”

A team from the Indian Institute of Astrophysics was expected to visit on Tuesday to collect samples.

G. Baskar, the principal of the college in Vellore district, was working in his cabin when he heard an explosion.

“It was a sound like nothing I’ve ever heard before,” he said. “There was no smell at all, no fire, nothing.”

The last reported death from a meteorite strike was in 1825, according to a list kept by International Comet Quarterly, a scientific journal.

Simon Goodwin, an astrophysics expert from Britain’s University of Sheffield, said meteorite deaths were rare because the rocks usually burn up when passing through the Earth’s atmosphere or land in the ocean or hit remote areas.

“When you look at the fraction of the Earth’s surface that is heavily populated, it’s not very much,” he said.

In 2013, a meteorite exploded over central Russia, raining fireballs over a vast area and causing a shock wave that smashed windows, damaged buildings and injured 1,200 people.

[“source-Livemint”]